In our family, the kitchen is most definitely the heart of the home.
As an avid weekend baker, I love nothing better than spending time in the kitchen, rolling out dough and dishing out slow-baked dinners and batches of cookies.
Most Porter Davis homes have generous and practical kitchen designs (I’d say it’s one of Porter Davis’s differentiating factors and what most attracts me to their designs) and the London 24 is no exception, especially for a home of its size.
We’ve managed to pack 32 cabinets/drawers into our kitchen, plus two open-shelves. Add to that a well-proportioned butlers pantry that will house the fridge and microwave with plenty of space for the kettle and toaster, and the London 24 kitchen pretty much sealed the deal when we were deciding which home to build.
I’ve always wanted a white kitchen so we chose the Crystal Gloss cabinet upgrade in Polar White. I am hoping that the gloss cabinets will be easier to keep clean. To help achieve the contemporary/classic look we’re going for, we will place vintage-looking pewter luggage-style handles on the lower cabinetry, while the overhead cabinets are longer (920mm high instead of the standard 720mm) and will be plain, with no handles. To bring some warmth, we’re adding a couple of open shelves that will be in a timber-look Laminex (Elegant Oak) and the benchtop in the butlers pantry will be the same.
The splashback will be 100x400mm white subway tiles with a light grey grout and we’re tiling the whole wall behind the open shelves and the entire back wall in the butler’s pantry (around the window).
The main kitchen benchtop will be Silestone in Lagoon, a light grey marble-look stone. We’re adding black glass appliances after handover to add a bit of contrast and I’m thinking of adding some black feature pendant lights over the island bench once we’re in.
High-level summary of our kitchen upgrade pricing:
- Category 4 20mm Silestone benchtop to kitchen (Lagoon): $2007
- Oven tower with provision for two ovens in crystal gloss: $1050
- Crystal gloss cabinetry to kitchen overheads and base: $1640
- Increase height of overhead cabinets to 920mm: $823
- Bank of 3 pot drawers: $213ea
- Provide overhang to overhead cupboards in lieu of handles: $110
- Provide Orga professional cutlery tray: $90
- Provide upgrade handles for kitchen base cabinets (Hettich 115292): $241
- Provide two laminate shelves: $1182
- Provide Lucas London 24 pantry upgrade option with laminate benchtop and two-door cabinet: $570
Kitchen culture drawings:
Our kitchen colours and cabinet handles: